Monday 19 January 2009

reflections


18/1/09
I saw a reflection in a spoon and it looked cool. Im thinking reflections, I am a reflection of the past. not in a watered down sense. i have traversed a path that has led me to this building. I am the manifestation of 100yr history of mac building like evolution if you know wot I mean. The skool has evolved over a century in many different ways; from single sex classes to mixed. courses of study developing and changing. The building expanding and being conserved. The skool is like an incubator which enables students to realise their dream. In this sense its like a big birds nest and we are the eggs protected and nurtured by eagles, owls, etc...Romantic notions but I like it. Bachelard quotes a poem "The warm calm nest In which a bird sings. Recalls the songs, the charms, the pure threshold of my old home"p100 poetics of space. "and here the threshold is hospitable...and does not intimidate us". I think that the nest is representative of my primal state wherein I am where I was always suppossed to be at this time. My time at gsa is what I make of it.
  • 19/1/09
"Everything about a creature that comes out of a shell is dialectical. And since it does not come out entirely, the part that comes out contradicts the part that remains inside rear parts remain imprisoned" Bachalard p108. "To emerge" p109 Emergence.

Just when I think things are going swimmingly I find a brick wall infront of me 20/1/09. everything im doing seems to be going nowhere. What exactly is it im doing? Im not sure! Like the Bachelard quote above I feel a little like the creature from a shell right now - emerging then withdrawing, contradicting myself with this project at every turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment