Tuesday 20 January 2009

dust art










I'll tell you what after dusting the mack my chest is killing me. I must get a dust mask for next time.





Mary Partridge above



Xu Bing installation "where does dust collect itself" he collected dust from near ground zero and won 40,0000 award for visual artists.

Who would have thought that I could get so fired up about dust. Aye thats right DUST. It sits silently everywhere. I couldn,t sleep last night and thats when I came up with the idea that I could collect Mack dust. Each sample has a history of its own. Maybe theres something in dust that will have some sort of meaning.....

So I plucked up the courage and front to ask the Jannies and receptionist about the possibilites of getting some. To my surprise they were on to it straight away. "What sort of dust?" and "How much dust?" and "Where do you want to get the dust from"? They were fantastic. Did you know that there is dust that I need to get permission to aquire - must be gold dust.

I've full circled to one of the first conversions I had with another student about this project.


What is dust? My unmediated response is: fluffy stuff, particles from various things and people, It gathers itself, silent, layers over time.

Dust is a general name for minute solid particles with diameters less than 500 micrometers. Dust occurs in the atmosphere from various sources such as soil dust lifted up by wind, volcanic eruptions, and pollution. Dust in homes, offices, and other human environments consists of human skin cells, plant pollen, human and animal hairs, textile fibers, paper fibers, minerals from outdoor soil, and many other materials which may be found in the local environment.[1]

No comments:

Post a Comment